Fantasy 40/40: 2012 Fantasy Baseball Rankings: My Top 20 Catchers
Here are my rankings for the catcher position in fantasy year 2012. Don’t feel the need to draft a backstop early in drafts this season, it’s pretty deep unless you’re in a two-catcher league.
- Carlos Santana CLE – Takes over the top spot this season with his breakout year in 2011. He also qualifies at 1B, giving him some positional flexibility and giving you options throughout the fantasy season.
- Brian McCann ATL
- Mike Napoli TEX – His power is legit. The average is not. Expect a BA correction to something under .300.
- Matt Wieters BAL
- Buster Posey SF - Saw him play this spring. The injury seems like a thing of the past and he looks just fine. He has the potential to be a Top 2 catcher in 2012.
- Joe Mauer MIN – Could be a bargain in the middle to late rounds of drafts. Should also see time at 1B and possibly OF.
- Miguel Montero ARI - Looking for Yadier money with his new extention, Montero could be inline for quite a contract season.
- Alex Avila DET
- Wilson Ramos WAS
- JP Arencibia TOR
- Yadier Molina STL
- Geovany Soto CHC – I buy on Soto every year and every year I wonder why.
- Kurt Suzuki OAK
- Jared Saltalamachia BOS
- Russell Martin NYY – Still plays in a great ballpark and hits in a great lineup.
- Devin Mesoraco CIN
- Jonathan LuCroy MIL
- Ryan Doumit MIN
- Chris Iannetta LAA – Hoping a change of scenery could make a change in his game.
- John Buck MIA
*Jesus Montero would probably fall between 8-11, but he only qualifies at DH. He should get eligibility rather quickly, whether you’re in a 1-game, 5-game or 10-game league – figure late “May-ish.”