Fantasy 40/40: 2012 Fantasy Baseball Rankings: Top 10 Overall
This is my Top 10 for 2012. It’s changed about thirty-six times. And I’m sure it will change again before I start drafting.
- Miguel Cabrera 1B, DET. After the signing of Prince Fielder, I wanted to move Cabrera into the top spot surpassing King Albert. Cabrera has been a model of consistency, is in his prime and will add 3B to his eligibility.
- Albert Pujols 1B, LAA. It was close, but Albert has given up his throne this season to the younger slugger (32 to 29). He’s still locked in for .300-35-100-100 which should be his floor, but I think Miggy’s BA is the difference.
- Jose Bautista 3B/OF, TOR. I almost had Kemp here, but Joey Bats isn’t a fluke and his 40 HRs are legit. He also qualifies at a shallow 3B and position scarcity and flexibility apply here.
- Matt Kemp OF, LAD. So close. The 40/40 club almost had another member last season as Kemp fell one HR short. These are the types of players I crave in the fantasy world and will look to draft come gameday.
- Troy Tulowitzki SS, COL. I could make the argument for him to be as high as #3 overall. Shortstops are slim this season and he’s the best out there. I can pencil in Hanley to make a comeback in Miami, but I can pencil pen Tulo for .300-28-100-80-5.
- Joey Votto 1B, CIN. I know the first base position has a decent amount of options. But, Votto is a MVP player that is only getting better. Some have Adrian Gonzalez higher, but I see double-digit stolen bases.
- Justin Upton OF, ARI. This guy has the ability to make the Matt Kemp/Jacoby Ellsbury jump this season. Could make a run at the NL MVP.
- Robinson Cano 2B, NYY. I almost had him at #6, had him at #7. Cano is the best second baseman in the game and promises you over 600 ABs every year.
- Evan Longoria 3B, TB. Longo is due for another video game-type season. His BABIP last year was terrible (.239) for a guy who has a career .299 BABIP at the Major League level. He’s at that age, 26, where it all starts to click. Watch out.
- Jacoby Ellsbury OF, BOS. Was a fantasy superstar in 2011 and looks to maintain his wicked numbers in ‘12. Won’t go 32/39 again, but 20/40 could be possible.