Fantasy 40/40: Early 2011 Fantasy Baseball Rankings: TOP 20 Overall (11-20)
I started listing my early overall rankings on Friday providing my TOP 10 so far. I continue it today with 11-20. These rankings will change when my official projections come out. Basically, a rough draft on a cocktail napkin, this is how they stack up so far.
I’ve been changing my 4 thru 16 picks like I change my socks. Everyday, I have a new order. What it stems from is a couple things. First, the depth at starting pitcher. Second, my preference for drafting hitting over pitching early. Third, the scarcity at MI and 3B. Cano is at #11 right now, but was #6 in my original ranking and will be closer to #6 than #11 come draft day.
I think I may have Carlos Gonzalez too low, but his lack of a track record makes me think Matt Kemp in 2010. Good, but not TOP 10 worth. And his BA will drop a bit. But, he’s a scouted top talent and expected to continue his progression — a repeat performance wouldn’t surprise owners.
I think ultimately, you’ll see Roy Halladay fall to about #13 and King Felix to about #19 or #20 for me. I don’t doubt that these two studs will finish in the TOP 10, but you can find value later in the draft. Last season, we saw the shift towards pitching and the lack of power hitting available with Bautista coming out of nowhere to lead the Majors. Timmy, Wainwright, CC, Lester, Greinke, Weaver, Kershaw, Price, Liriano, Johnson. I mean, a lot of pitching to fall back on.
Youkillis’ ranking is aided by the fact he’ll qualify at 1B and 3B eventually (1 game or 20). An improved offense doesn’t hurt. You see Zimmerman and Rodriguez squeeze into the TOP 20 because of the lack of depth at 3B. After Beltre, good luck. First base? Different story. Like starting pitching, you can wait and grab a first baseman later. So for today, here’s the rest of my TOP 20.
The numbers posted are their 3 year averages.
- 11. Robinson Cano 2B, NYY – .305-23-89-92-3
- 12. Joey Votto 1B, CIN – .313-29-94-86-9
- 13. Carlos Gonzalez OF, COL – .298-17-57-65-15
- 14. Felix Hernandez SP, SEA – 14-9. 2.70 ERA. 1.18 WHIP. 208 K in 229.2 INN.
- 15. Chase Utley 2B, PHI – .285-27-87-100-17
- 16. Ryan Zimmerman 3B, WAS – .294-24-81-82-2
- 17. Matt Holliday OF, STL – .315-26-100-99-17
- 18. Josh Hamilton OF, TEX – .314-25-95-79-8
- 19. Kevin Youkillis 1B, BOS – .308-25-90-89-5
- 20. Alex Rodriguez 3B, NYY – .287-32-109-85-12