Fantasy 40/40: Dynasty Draft – Day 3
We’ve completed 6 rounds.
- 5.49 Richmond Night Crawlers – Gordon Beckham, 2B/3B, White Sox
- 5.50 Moorpark Nago’s Rippas Brah – Javier Vazquez, SP, Yankees
- 5.51 Scottsdale BOHICA- Andre Ethier, OF, Dodgers
- 5.52 Anaheim Smog- Tommy Hanson, SP, Braves
- 5.53 Mission Viejo Andy Likes To Pettite- Victor Martinez, C/1B, BOS
- 5.54 Hanford Hye-Lites – Matt Wieters, C, BAL
- 5.55 Scottsdale 40/40 Club – Andrew McCutchen, OF, PIT
- 5.56 Las Vegas Phantom Aces – Clayton Kershaw, SP, LAD
- 5.57 San Diego The Smashing Blumpkins – Justin Morneau, 1B, MIN
- 5.58 Rogers Naturals – Mariano Rivera, CL, NYY
- 5.59 St. Louis Rick Ankiel’s Wild Pitches – Matt Cain, SP, SF
- 5.60 Kingston We Be Buntin’ – Chris Carpenter, SP, STL
INITIAL THOUGHTS AND REACTIONS: Ok. I might have taken him a little early. In a re-draft league, no chance I take McCutchen here. But I’ve been scouting him for years and I have a really good feeling about his future – 25/35 on a regular basis. I’m learning on the fly and realize I need to go out and take who I want – we don’t draft again so I would need to trade for these players I covet. I know I always talk about value – but – I was willing to pay a little this year to secure the next 10. Was going to take Jason Bay who is still on the board… I’ve noticed a trend.
40/40 CLUB after Round 5 – Utley 2B. Tulowitzki SS. Votto 1B. Markakis OF. Andrew McCutchen OF.
The following is some insight from one of the league owners, DP – team owner of Andy Likes to Petitte. It’ll give you a different perspective of the draft; Thanks DP.
- While not as bad of a reach as Jeter, I think Beckham was chosen a few rounds too early. It seems too early to be picking up (essentially) prospects while there are young, proven players still on the board.
- As a Yankee fan, I was stoked to see Vazquez come back to NY. However, I think he went too early here (ROUND 5- pick #50).
- I’m not sure why, but it seems like people are choosing more prospects over proven pitchers. I understand the intent in a dynasty league, but taking Tommy Hanson before the other pitchers on the board seemed premature. Hanson should be a great foundation for the Atlanta rotation for years though.
- I felt that taking anyone I wanted in this position would be reaching so I took the best value on the board, Victor Martinez. He should compile some crazy numbers in Boston and playing 1B occasionally should slow his knees from falling off. His 1B/C eligibility should be a boon due to our depth chart scoring system.
- I officially started a run! Wieters going in the fifth round. I can’t say I’m surprised that he went early, but I didn’t expect catchers to go back-to-back.
- I was in Florida a few years ago and saw Kershaw’s curveball bust Sean Casey’s knees. Sitting on the first base side with Vin Scully in my ears. It is one of my favorite baseball moments. Kershaw was definitely on my wishlist.
- Grabbing Morneau here was a great value pick. If the Twins lock up Mauer then the M&M’s should produce for another 5 years.
- Every year I say to myself, Rivera is due to fail this year. He doesn’t. Every year I think, there is no way there will be that many save opportunities. There are. This pick makes me think that Natural’s team is weighted down by age. (Jeter-35, Lee-31, Rivera-40). It will be interesting to see that play out in a few years.
- 6.61 Kingston We Be Buntin’- Shin-Soo Choo, OF, CLE
- 6.62 St. Louis Rick Ankiel’s Wild Pitches – Jonathan Broxton, CL, LAD
- 6.63 Rogers Naturals – BJ Upton, OF, TB
- 6.64 San Diego The Smashing Blumpkins – A. Ramirez, 3B, CHI
- 6.65 Las Vegas Phantom Aces – Jason Bay, OF, NYM
- 6.66 Scottsdale 40/40 Club – Brandon Phillips, 2B, CIN
- 6.67 Hanford Hye-Lites – Ben Zobrist, 2B, TB
- 6.68 Mission Viejo Andy Likes To Pettite – Adam Dunn, 1B, WAS
- 6.69 Anaheim Smog – Kendry Morales, C, MIN
- 6.70 Scottsdale BOHICA – Yovani Gallardo, SP, MIL
- 6.71 Moorpark Nago’s Rippas Brah – Stephen Drew, SS, ARI
- 6.72 Richmond Night Crawlers – Carlos Pena, 1B, TB
INITIAL THOUGHTS AND REACTIONS: I know. I already have a 2B. But to me, B. Phillips was the best available talent on the board. We start a normal baseball lineup: positions 2-9 plus a DH or U. Phillips will back up Utley at 2B and play DH for me for the time being. He gives me 20/20 and at least 80 and 80 – hopefully 90 and 90. Worst comes to worst, I can move him sometime during the season to someone who is looking for an upgrade. It adds to my power/speed motif. Also, the oldest player I am currently carrying is Utley at 31.
40/40 CLUB after Round 6 – Utley 2B. Tulowitzki SS. Votto 1B. Markakis OF. McCutchen OF. Phillips 2B.
More thoughts from DP -
- I’m impressed Bay (pick #65) fell this far. I expected someone to nab him earlier. My projections showing him putting up good numbers – but I’m just not seeing him maintaining this kind of production.
- 40/40 CLUB is cornering the market on quality 2B. With Utley and Phillips he has two of the top 5 2B in the game. This will be a position of power if another player doesn’t get a quality 2B
- I’m stoked I got Dunn (pick #68). Our league doesn’t punish K’s and rewards walks so I was happy to take him off the board. Dunn will have 1B/OF eligibility so he gives me great security at 1B and allows me more flexibility.